HAVE I BEEN PWNED (HIBP)
What is this tool?
This tool provides a simple way for you to check and see if any of your email addresses have been involved in a website breach, spam list, or paste.
- Breach an incident where data is inadvertently exposed in a vulnerable system, usually due to insufficient access controls or security weaknesses in the software.
- Paste is information that has been “pasted” to a publicly facing website designed to share content such as Pastebin. These services are favoured by hackers due to the ease of anonymously sharing information and they’re frequently the first place a breach appears.
- Spam List is personal data that is being utilised for the purposes of sending targeted spam. This often includes many of the same attributes frequently found in data breaches such as names, addresses, phones numbers and dates of birth.
What to Do if the Tool Finds Results
If you find your Adams Cable Email in a breach, we highly recommend the following:
- A good first step is to change your password on the affected site
- If a breached website shared the same password as your Adams Cable Email, you can change it by going to our Webmail
- Consider using a phrase instead of single words that are more easily guessed
- Since strong unique passwords are a huge pain to memorize, try a password manager like 1Password or LastPass
- Look through your accounts for any signs of suspicious activity, start by checking outgoing emails